Before understanding how to lock files and folders with Folder Lock, know a bit about the software itself.
What is folder Lock?
Folder Lock from newsoftwares.net is one of the best data security software that does not need no introduction. By far it has been ranked as the most valid form of software that provides the top services of encryption. It has been known to exist since the very early ages and till now, it hasn’t lost the touch of perfection. But what its strength is also becomes its weakness? Know how? Read on
Now since you know what you’re dealing with is dependable, let’s find out how to encrypt files or folders with Folder Lock.
Steps on how to encrypt file or folder using Folder Lock:
- To start encrypting a file, click on the ‘encrypt file’ feature. Moving on, you need to create an encrypted locker from here.
- These lockers are quite flexible, portable and can be resized. You can transfer them as well to any external drive.
- As soon as you tap on ‘create locker’ option, a locker would be created as ‘Locker01’. Which can be renamed if you want.
- From here, a default locker path would be created or a path would be assigned. You can alter the path if it interests you. But bear in mind that the individual lockers needs a unique password or a password of its own. Make sure you keep memorize your password and make it impossible for others to guess.
- A strength meter is available to test the strength of your password. It’s not too much but we thought we should let you know it exists.
- Once you’re done setting up your locker, you would be given two options here. One would be to create a basic locker and the other of creating a portable locker. By portable, you could understand its flexibility and transferring it onto an external drive. But know that the size of the locker is limited to a max of 4 TB. I guess that’s not too harsh. The basic lockers however aren’t portable and do not have any size limitations.
- To back up your lockers to secure cloud service, portable lockers must be created due to the restrictions imposed on basic lockers which cannot be uploaded.
- You do not need to install Older Lock in the background as these P. lockers are self-executable which can be accessed on any window PC.
- Now comes the time of selecting the size of your locker. Bear in mind not all lockers are resizable, hence, better opt for adequate size range for the locker.
- The status of the locker is visible in the ‘encrypt file tab menu’. From here, you can actually close, edit, open, backup etc. your locker to the dedicated safe backup service.
- In order to encrypt a file or folder that does not appear in the ‘encrypt file list’, follow the steps listed below:
- Open the locker and enter your login credentials to gain access.
- Virtual drive Z would open as a result. In simple words, drag/drop the data into the Z drive. To confirm you are on the right track, check whether the locker is appearing on the locker list (which should be there). If you desire to exit the locker once you’ve entered the data, tap on the locker in the list and tap on ‘close locker’ option.
- In case if your locker is part of your list, follow these steps:
- If locker is closed, open it and access it using your login credentials. Doing so would open your virtual drive Z. again here, you need to drag/drop file in the Virtual drive. As soon as you are done, tap on the ‘close locker’ button.
Folder Lock is known mostly because of the encryption standards it offers, its other features aren’t really of that importance. For example, password protecting folders in windows, file shredding, password wallets etc. are surely needed features but Folder Lock is not famous for them but instead it is famous for encryption standards only. Hence, only move forward with it if encryption is what you desire from it.